Frequently Asked Questions
- Is your food (SCD™, GAPS™, Paleo) compliant?
- Is your food sugar free?
- Is your food lactose free?
- Is your food GMO free?
- Why is your food so expensive?
- Why are your portions so small?
- Will you bake something special upon request?
There is much discussion and some debate on what exactly is and is not legal under the various diets, including whether processed food itself is legal. See the individual item for ingredient details. We have tried to make our products suitable for those on Paleo, GAPS™, SCD™ “type” of diet, in that our food is:
- Gluten/Grain Free
- Free of added starches. See our promise
- contains only sugar from honey or fruit
- Artificial sweetener free
- Artificial Preservative Free
- Our Paleo offerings are completely casein and lactose free. Our other products use dairy products with little or no lactose (SCD complaint). See our promise
Is your food sugar free?
We only sweeten our products with honey and fruit.
Is your food lactose free?
Our Paleo offerings are casein and lactose free. Our other products may use dairy products that may contain fractional lactose, like hard cheeses, farmers cheese or our own specially made yogurt (all SCD compliant).
Is your food GMO free?
All of our nuts and vegetable products are GMO free. However, our non-paleo, SCD™-like products may contain dairy products that we can not ascertain the GMO status of.
See this note from one of our main suppliers: Friendship Dairies asserts on their website.
Why is your food so expensive?
Compare us to the competition! In general, this type of product will be more expensive simply because most of our baked products are based out of almonds, cashews, and coconut, as opposed to starch, rice or grain. Additionally:
- We attempt to source high quality ingredients from reputable suppliers who meets our strict requirements--If it's on the "Dirty Dozen" list, we make every attempt to purchase Organic Fruits and Veggies
- We don’t use any artificial preservatives, which means we have to refrigerate and freeze them to provide a reasonable shelf life
- We don’t use fillers--only whole ingredients in our kitchen
- Our manufacturing process is all by hand, which is time consuming. We don’t have assembly line or automation equipment. Our process is different than traditional ‘grain based’ bakeries and their equipment can’t always be used in our process
- All cheeses are grated in-house to ensure they are free of anti-caking ingredients and 100% pure
- Olive oils are Organic and cold-pressed
- Our almond milk is made is made in-house to ensure its purity
Why are your portions so small?
While our baked goods may be physically smaller in size, they are filled with nutrients and calories comparable to a larger, traditional item. This is because we often use denser ingredients like nuts in place of grains. You’ll find that we often have higher fat content than traditional items, but a reduced carbohydrate content.
Will you bake something special upon request?
Contact me! If I can find the time and the ingredients, I’ll do it! An additional charge will apply of course.